Welcome to Dawn of Eternity

In order to download and play the game you need to sign up for an account and activate it, it's free. Once you have an active account you will be able to see the download page at the top of the forum.

How do I recolor the RockIsland mesh?

Discussion in 'Game Help' started by SparkleWolf404, Oct 8, 2016.

1. SparkleWolf404

SparkleWolf404 Active Member

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    I want the top texture to be grassy like it is on feralheart for a map however I have no clue how to code it to work due to the mesh using two textures and the guide on the form only explains how to color meshes with one texture.

This what happened when I tried making a mat for the new grass texture.

[​IMG]

Could whoever made the map Chaos help me with this seeing as that map uses an edited texture for this mesh?

2. Hiyorests

Hiyorests Administrator
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Hiyorests
    MESH files work an a variety of wonderful and irritating ways. If you have notepad++, you'll have to go into the mesh file to change the assigned material. Alternatively, you could probably do this with blender too. If you're just replacing the texture file, then I have no idea why it's gone like that. I'll have a look into the files as soon as I have time and see what I can do for you.

3. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    I looked into DoE's code but could only find the mat for the top part of the RockIsland mesh but not the bottom which is strange and annoying.

4. Hiyorests

Hiyorests Administrator
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Hiyorests
    • Install Notepad++ first off. You will need this to open the .mesh file later. We'll go into details later on.
    • Once you've installed Notepad++, open the rockisland.mesh file, and also open rocks.material (both found in Dawn of Eternity\game\media\world\rocks).
    • You should see something like this. I use regular notepad for material files, but you must use notepad++ for mesh files.
    • [​IMG]
    • After this, you need to first look at the material file (on the right of my screen).
    • See these names that are underlined? (displayed in step 1 spoiler below) These are the material names. Find the appropriate MAT names. There's obviously going to be 2 if the rock itself is one texture on the top and another at the bottom. If you can't see the 2 material names by sight, try typing ctrl+f and searching for something relevant such as "rock" or "mat".
    • [​IMG]
      [*]
    • [​IMG]
    • The red underlined line is the image file. This is what you'll be editing the texture with.
    • As you can see, rockIsland/TopMat2 matches the line in the material file. Labelled top, you can easily tell which part of the rock it is. Considering there are two textures, rockMat7 is obviously the bottom half of the rock.
    • [​IMG]
    • After you have found these material headings, you're going to need to write a code for yourself. It's not complicated - don't worry.
    • Copy the whole section of rockIsland/TopMat2 and paste it twice below. Change each material header to whatever you like. I kept things simple and saved these as rockislandtop2 and rockislandbottom2.
    • [​IMG]
    • After this, you need to make your texture file. I'll leave that up to you to decide. I made mine pretty simple. These are both saved as separate files, but I just chucked them together in this image for simplicity.
    • [​IMG] [​IMG]
      [*]
    • After this, change the name of the texture in your two material headings to the same as the texture files themselves.
    • [​IMG]
    • Make sure everything matches or your texture won't work and your game may crash!!
    • After this, copy your materials. (All you need in blue in the image above).
    • Paste these into a new notepad or notepad++ file (it really doesn't matter for .materials). Save the file as anything you like (I saved mine as rockisland2.material). Also, save your mesh file as rockisland2.mesh.
    • [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • After this, you should be all set! Load into the game and type /editor create rockisland2 (or whatever your mesh file is named)
    • [​IMG]
    • You should be all good! If anything is wrong, check all of your material files, mesh files, and also your texture files (a common mistake is typing .jpg in the .material file whereas the textures are set as .png)[​IMG]
    • Left is edited file, right is original. Enjoy your modding! Hope this helped. If you have any questions, just ask me. If it still doesn't work, send me your files and I'll talk you through it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    Thank you but I've been trying to avoid making a new mesh all together, every time I make a map that has meshes that need to relocated to the objects folder something ALWAYS goes wrong even when I make it clear in the read me.

However seeing the odd nature of this mesh it looks like I have no choice so thank you for your help ^^

Ps, can you please send me that bottom texture? It looks a lot nicer then the one I am using.

#5 SparkleWolf404, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  6. Snuggypink

Snuggypink Preset Converter
    Staff Member

Holy halibut~ Hiyo exposing the good good of meshes.
    This may actually help me since I have been curious about putting in those floating islands but i was just gunna try to import a mesh file from FH to here.

7. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    I got my textures from FH but I was worried if I imported a mesh we already have in game it might screw up chaos or worse.

8. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    That's what forest said.

9. Hiyorests

Hiyorests Administrator
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Hiyorests
    You can make new materials for meshes and assign it in the .world file, but this does not work for materials with more than one section. To explain that better, a basic rock has 1 solid texture. A tree has both the bark and the leaves to edit. See what I mean? Assigning one texture to something via a new entry on the world file is simple, but from my knowledge does not account for more than one texture. I expect if you assigned a rock texture to a tree, the whole tree would take on the rock. I may be wrong, but I believe that the only way to assign multiple textures is through blender or notepad++.

10. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    Yep, I understand, Thank you!

11. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    Um @Hiyorests there is a huge problem... I followed your steps but it just replaced the one in chaos...

Both rockisland2 and normal rockisland are a thing but only rockisland2 wishes to work

12. Hiyorests

Hiyorests Administrator
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Hiyorests
    If you've edited something you didn't mean to, go to the version.txt file in your game folder, and change the number to 0. Just take note that this updates everything. If you've modified markings or something that you want to save, back them up.

13. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    Um... what?
    I just wanted to know if something was wrong with my coding

material rockIsland/TopMat2
    {
    technique
    {
    pass
    {
    texture_unit
    {
    texture rockIslandTop2.jpg
    }
    }
    }
    }

material rockIsland/BottomMat2
    {
    technique
    {
    pass
    {
    texture_unit
    {
    texture rockIslandBot2.jpg
    }
    }
    }
    }

14. Hiyorests

Hiyorests Administrator
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Hiyorests
    OH, sorry. I caught your point wrong. Send me your files and I'll have a look. Everything looks fine there to me.

15. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    [Here]

16. Hiyorests

Hiyorests Administrator
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Hiyorests
    Is this the new code or the original? I'm still not sure what the issue at hand is.

17. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    I did not overwrite the original rock island mat, I copied it into a new mat and then edited the code to have the 2

However if you spawn bothe the normal and number 2 they both have the grass

18. Hiyorests

Hiyorests Administrator
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Hiyorests
    This is probably a material error. Try renaming your edited file material headings to something else. It's probably also good to change the names of your texture files too. Try to differentiate your files and sort out what is the same. Something has to be.

19. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    I renamed all the stuff and the problem still happens to the rockisland mesh. (also now the top texture is broken even though I know that names match)

20. Hiyorests

Hiyorests Administrator
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Hiyorests
    Have you gone back and checked that you completed all of the steps correctly and effectively? If you skipped even one thing, go back and fix it.