Welcome to Dawn of Eternity

In order to download and play the game you need to sign up for an account and activate it, it's free. Once you have an active account you will be able to see the download page at the top of the forum.

Chatting to NPCs

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by SparkleWolf404, Jan 7, 2017.

1. SparkleWolf404

SparkleWolf404 Active Member

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    As much as I love the quest system Dawn of Eternity has I feel it can be improved on, shockingly with a feature that the very flawed dragon's den quest system has.

This feature for those who haven't played that server is the ability to chat with quest givers
    When you click on the quest giver it will give two options "quest" and "chat"

The chat will give the player a list of prewritten questions you can ask the NPC
    For this example I'll be using Cross Stitch since he's the first quest giver most new players talk to

Question One "Where is Solucida"
    Cross Stitch : I get asked this a lot, simply go through Xanthous Desert and you can't miss it!
    Question One Follow Up "How do I get to Xanthous Desert?"
    Cross Stitch : Somewhere in that direction. *points*

Question Two "How are you alive?"
    Cross Stitch would probably either reply with a vague reply or give the player the actual in universe reason.

Question Three "Are you evil?"
    I'm not sure if Cross Stitch would give a joke answer or play the question straight.

Question Four (or maybe the follow up to 3) "Are you going to crash my game?"
    Cross Stitch : Nah don't worry that was patched out a long time ago!

(for those who don't get it this is a reference to the Mar 5, 2016 update where cross stitch used to crash your game after you clicked on him when all the quests he gave were completed, this was patched out in the Apr 26, 2016 update.

I know a system like this would be tricky to code but this would be good for a number of reasons.

1. It would make the NPCs feel more alive.
    2. Players won't have to deal with newer players asking the same questions all the time.
    3. It would help players learn about the lore of the world without needing a ton of info to be posted on the site.

Only downside I can think of is how tricky it would be to code, heck it might even need to force players to redo all quests just to add but I think the reward might outweigh the risk but I have no way of knowing for sure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Zaroque

Zaroque THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Zaroque
    I really like this idea yeaa

@Myz

3. Snuggypink

Snuggypink Preset Converter
    Staff Member

hmm, dunno if would force undo your quest progress.
    Think it would just be a sort of patch, still giving the option to get quests (though if done) giving you the option to chat.

Can you imagine the Ophani statue? Either some really good dialog to come from it... Or is doesn't say anything because Rock

4. Zaroque

Zaroque THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
    Staff Member Developer

In-Game Name:
    Zaroque
    i'd prefer if it'd stay pretty light-hearted and humorous and not really any thing to do with the quest its gives. it could be something just for a giggle and give good character insight (which might come in handy later).

5. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    I bet that dude would be like "this is a trial, you get no hints!"

Yes I agree that the light hearted idea fits the game a lot better as a whole.
    Wouldn't it be neat if you could chit chat with shop keepers too?

Like asking Item Emporium why they are selling the wings instead of them being in character maker.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snuggypink

Snuggypink Preset Converter
    Staff Member

The item emporium be like "Well I need to make my money some how- by the way do you have more gold on you?" Kinda like Moneybags from Spyro

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. SparkleWolf404

In-Game Name:
    SparkleWolf404
    Better question, where did they GET the wings????

• Funny Funny x 1